The battleship New Jersey was the second of the Iowa class battleships commissioned by the US Navy. She was laid down in 1940, launched in 1942, and commissioned in 1943. After working up and training her crew in the Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea, the New Jersey reported for duty in the Pacific in January 1944.

The New Jersey followed the lead of the other US battleships in the Pacific whose principal role was to screen the carriers from air attack during the island hopping campaigns. Her first action as part of task force 58 was to screen the carriers during the assault on the Marshall Islands as well as providing shore bombardment against the island of Eniwetok. In February she participated in the attack on Truk lagoon and assisted in destroying several surface craft that tried to flee out of the harbor. Over the next few months the New Jersey supported the carriers and raided several more islands, destroying shore installations in the ongoing effort to weaken the Japanese.

In June the New Jersey participated in the Marianas turkey shoot, helping shoot down some of the 400+ Japanese aircraft lost in combat. In October the ship found herself at Leyte under the command of Admiral Halsey. In December of 1944 the New Jersey found herself with the rest of Task Force 38 caught up in a typhoon which capsized several vessels; the New Jersey rode the storm out undamaged. In 1945, the New Jersey participated in several additional island compaigns before returning to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard for repairs. She returned to the Pacific theater shortly before the cessation of hostilities.

After WWII, the ship was eventually deactiviated and put in the mothball fleet. In 1950 the Korean war flared up and the New Jersey was once again called to duty. She was reactivated and steamed to the Korean peninsula to provide much needed fire support. Over two expeditions, she bombarded and destroyed many shore facilities which helped lessen allied troop casualties. After the Korean the New Jersey was used for training exercises for several years before being once again placed in the reserve fleet.

During the Vietnam war, the New Jersey was once again called up to provide fire support. She was recommissioned in 1968 and began shelling targets later that same year. After several tours of duty during which she shelled targets up and down the Vietnam coastline, she was placed in the inactive reserve in 1969. In 1982, the ship was reactivated in the US Navy's quest to build a 600 ship fleet. She participated in the Lebanese Civil war, her shelling reducing the attacks on the deployed US marines. After the war, the New Jersey participated in training exercises until she was deactivated for the final time in 1991. She became a museum ship in 2001 at Camden, New Jersey, where she remains to this day.